The blog postings have been a little sparse lately. How come, you ask? It's not that I don't have any good pictures to post, or that Grace has suddenly stopped doing blog-worthy things...I've been baking!
My sporty mother-in-law gave me and Joe a mill for Christmas. A what?! You know, that thing that turns wheat into flour. I've always admired her mill, and especially the delicious muffins, pizza crust, and rolls that she makes. (The name "Muchnick" actually means flour.) It's pretty interesting. Turns out, you can mill lots of things. Wheat, rice, beans, oats, dried corn, and so on. You just put the dry goods in the hopper and the mill cranks out a fine powder. Here's Joe demonstrating.
This particular mixture I'm milling is for Ezekiel bread. You may have seen it in stores. It's based on Ezekiel 4 where God tells Ezekiel to fast for 430 days, eating only bread made from wheat, barley, beans, lentils, and spelt and drinking water. Well, we're not kicking off a 430 fast, but with the combination of wheat and beans, this bread is quite healthy. It's delicious too. :)
So, why go through all this trouble when Kroger sells bread already made for $1.37? For starters, fresh milled flour is much more nutritious than what you can buy in your average grocery store. By milling the flour yourself, all the fiber remains in the flour. Nutrients deplete over time after milling, so it's best to mill then eat soon after, which just isn't possible for large-scale milling processes. And it really is delicious. I'm not a big fan of the whole wheat bread sold in grocery stores. But this has such a different flavor. More nutty.
Are you hungry yet? Drop by to see us, I'll send you home with some muffins. :)
3 comments:
How fun!
So impressed...wish I could "stop by". I'd like some muffins!!
I can vouch for the muffins...they are amazing (and filling with all that fiber)!
What a wonderful new skill to acquire. Grace will thank you later!
Post a Comment