Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ski Weekend

I went snow skiing for the first time a few months ago--and loved it! Joe and I went with 2 other couples from church to Winterplace, WV. There were all different experience levels in our group, from beginner to advanced. Thankfully, there was another first-timer on the trip and we learned together. Joe and I are already talking about another ski trip this Christmas.

Here's our group (L-R): Joe, Greg, Hannah, Amy, Mike, Michelle.

Greg and Amy snowboarded all weekend. They're both very good. They went down hills that I was scared to just look at.

Here are Michelle & Mike on the ski lift. As the other beginner in our group, Michelle and I spent most of the first day perfecting our ability to stop.

Since we were only there 1-1/2 days, I didn't want to take the time for ski school. With Joe as my instructor and his "just do it" approach to skiing, I had to get over my fear of falling early on!

Ok, now that you've met our group, here are a few things I learned about skiing.

(1) Dismounting the ski lift can be tricky

(2) No snow? No problem! Look at the difference in the snow on the mountain, and the lack of snow in the surrounding area.

(3) If you need a break, take time for a kiss...

...or a snack

(4) Everybody falls

Get this, Joe can ski backwards! He took lots of good action videos. Here's one of me going just about as fast as I went all weekend.


Here's skiing from Joe's perspective.


Hannah