Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daddy Don

Daddy Don, my grandpa, passed away earlier this month. He was 88 years old. He and my grandma (Meemee) were married for almost 60 years with 2 children, 4 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren (and counting).

This picture is just how I remember him. Sitting in his rocking chair, always outside, telling a joke or old story, and smiling. He was a wonderful grandpa. He had a farm and took us grandkids fishing anytime we wanted. He always had Big Red gum in his front shirt pocket. He was an incredibly hard worker. He had the best fresh produce and was constantly giving it away...tomatoes, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, pears. He always had his pocket knife in his pocket. He was honest and generous and kind. He loved God.

Here's my dad's side of the family after the funeral. It was so neat to have everyone together. See Meemee in the middle of the crowd. We're smothering her with love. :)


Daddy Don was able to meet Grace a few weeks ago. It was the last time that I saw him. When this picture was taken, he was commenting on how tiny her fingers and toes were. What a special memory for me!


I'm sad that Daddy Don is gone--we all are and we'll miss him terribly--but so thankful for the honorable life that he lived. I'm enjoying many, many blessings in my life because Daddy Don chose to live a life obedient to God. This little blog posting doesn't begin to share all the fun memories I have with Daddy Don, or express how grateful I am for his life. I love you, Daddy Don, I miss you!

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
Psalm 116:15

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of your grandpa here on earth, but rejoice that you will be together eternally! So glad that he was able to meet Grace.