Friday, May 25, 2007

Welcome to New York

It was 75 degrees and clear skies when Hannah and I rolled into New York today. We dragged our suitcases up into our 5 floor walk-up on the upper west side (UWS) and quickly headed to Central Park to have lunch and take a stroll around our new neighborhood. Our landlord was quick to point out that Bono and Michael Douglas (among other celebrities) live on our block. Our apartment has "character", which means old and small, but is located very close to Central Park.
- Joe

Our landlord (Luigi) is a small man in his 70s who oversees the 10 units in our building and the garden between our building and the sidewalk. Light pink wild-looking roses and deep pink peonies bloom out front growing next to a green and healthy grapevine. When we asked how he keeps his flowers looking so good, Luigi says it's all in the trimming.

With a casual dinner outside at Westside Brewing, Joe and I watched the locals. Sitting at the sidewalk with a turkey sandwich and sweet potato fries, I wonder...where do all these people live? where do they work? are they tourists or locals? The picture above is us in Central Park. We definitely still fall in the "tourist" category; but I'm glad to call the Park my backyard--at least for a little while.
- Hannah

1 comment:

Emily Hellman said...

We miss you! It's almost like we're there! Love, Ed & Emily